Monday, March 28, 2011

Flor's Garden

Last Friday, Aids and I went up to Antipolo with the guy who takes care of his farm to attend a seminar about natural farming. The seminar was basically about the idea of WHY natural farming and its basic techniques good for small to medium scale farms. 
It was held in Flor's garden, a small, humble Bohol Bee Farm-like garden in Antipolo. Not so hard to find. We left Manila round 6:30 and arrived at around 7:30 without traffic.

The place was sort of on the side of the hill with a nice view of bamboo forests and mahogany forests and other kinds of forests. :| 


This is their function room.

The walls on the other side of the room (which is behind the camera) were of orchid nets. The wind blew so hard and the air was perfectly cool most of the day.  We could hear the leaves of trees, the wind, water flowing and crickets all over the place. It was hard not to feel sleepy.
Aids and I were talking about how it would be nice to just lie down in the middle of that nowhere and sleep the whole day. We're both fans of the buhay probinsya.

They served this during lunch: 
Reminds me of Bee Farm. This time I'm not scared to eat flowers anymore. But it took me a long time to dig into my salad plate. It was too pretty. The salad dressing was divine. I had harass Tita Flor, the farm owner for the recipe. Will share it here next time. 

The owner of the farm was an advocate of natural farming. The part of the garden that was open to public was sort of an educational one, with demonstrations on natural farming basics. Aids told me that his farm was way better than the garden. I have yet to see his farm to believe it. 


Plant beds with organic soil


Vermiculture: Worm management

This is irrelevant but I'll post it anyway since they're so cute and fluffy: 

Organically raised chicks.
They had a no smell pig. Really. The sign said "NO SMELL PIG" and when you try, there really isn't any smell! How lovely. I wish becky had no smell and no poop. I wish she had a smaller tummy and a smaller appetite.

NO SMELL PIG

The place was perfect for the seminar, really. I learned a lot and I was telling my mom I'd bring her there one of these days. If you're into farming or gardening or any of that sort, it wouldn't really hurt to travel to Flor's to learn a little of this and that.

No comments:

Post a Comment