Monday, March 21, 2011

Project: Prom

So last Thursday, my cousin Yanah asked me to produce all perfect things for Prom with her crush,  j3(2x)bHoI, that will happen in less than 48 hours.
Imagine my panic. 48 hours before Prom in Manila is easy, given that there are a lot of stores to go to and a lot of trusted make up artists to make you up. But when you're in Pampanga, it's a whole lot different. Finding a decent party dress here is a miracle and the make up industry here is composed mainly of...
     ***my mother and brother taught me not say anything if I don't have anything nice to say

I think the fact that she came from a school with a tiny population (READ: entire high school body is less than 50) and that it's the school's first time to throw such thing made her feel all BLAH about it. And the fact that I came from a bigger school that has PROM written all over Junior and Senior year made me want to slap the hell out of her for not preparing 2 months prior to the event. Yup, I'm a freak for an Achi.

The next day she and Raisa came to our house around lunch so I took the rest of the day off and attempted to find her a suitable dress. But as I've said, Pampanga can be a lot of things but definitely not a shopping heaven. Less than 24 hours before j3(2x)bHoI takes her to prom and we still have nothing.

BUT, as I have tweeted that night: "Cousin's prom tomorrow. No dress no shoes no plans nothing! Buti nalang I'm fab enough to save her." 


And I really was fab enough. 


I phoned my sister(who also panicked when i told her about the situation) and asked her to send me every dress from her closet that had prom-potential. Her closet was the top choice for raid since it has been proven time and again that they fit the same size. The dresses travelled from Manila to Pampanga via older sister MM and viola, we had the perfect pink dress. For her shoes, I had to brave my shoe pyramid to find basic pumps that would fit her well. After all sweat and dirt and dust and shoes falling on our heads, we couldn't find a pair that fit her perfectly. All my shoes were either too big or too small even if we both claim to have the same shoe size. This was the part we decided to go to the mall with her all made up right before dropping her to the venue.


As for the make up, ajejeje. Everyone knows how much of a make up junkie I am. Di nyo lang alam, may talent din ako. ajejeje. 


BTW, my mom saw my work and offered to send me to make up school. YEY! 


6 hands worked on her hair. Mine, Raisa's and MM's. Hanggang make up lang ang skills ko.

We were done with her hair and make up and it was almost time to go. She changed to her short dress and a sight scared me. My gosh, hindi pwede ang unshaved legs sa maiksing palda. Sayang ang long legs. Quickly, Raisa worked on the shaving cream while I took charge of the razor. MM documented then cleaned up after the razor.



No time to change back to pambahay clothes.


We were so efficient, we cleaned up just on time. Here's our finished product: 

That's me at the back still scavenging for an appropriate bag and that's Raisa making sure that her legs are 100% balbon-free.
We didn't  have enough time to run to the mall to find her shoes so I had the brightest idea of putting layers of table napkin under the soles of her feet to make my pumps fit snuggly on her. I'm not so sure though if  my bright idea stayed bright the whole night.

We took her to Prom and j3(2x)bHoI was there waiting for her. He didn't even say hi to us. EEW. So me and Raisa and MM had dinner with our uncle and aunt who also sent their son to the same prom, went on to find gas, experienced a credit card malfunction, and had coffee while waiting for Prom to be over. Can I just say that I love my cousins?

Prom was over at around 11:30pm and I was tasked to bring all three of my prom-going kid cousins home. I knew they wanted to go clubbing or party or whatever it is that 16 year olds do nowadays, but I didn't take them. Because 1. I was liable if one of them gets too drunk. 2. I'm afraid that one of them might vomit inside my car if they get too drunk. And 3. I wasn't dressed. ajeje. So I offered them just one round of drinks at Friday's. They agreed but somehow we ended up buying them frappuccinos and looking at their pictures and listening to how sexy his date was and how jeje her date was and blah and blah and blah.

I took all of them home on the dot. 12:30. My mommy will be proud of me. 

In all fairness, I really had a good time. I remember how big of deal prom was back in high school and I was really happy that Yanah had the time of her life on her first prom experience. She's in her Junior year now and she's still got 1 more prom night to look forward to and hopefully prepare for in advance. 2 years from now she will be cringing at how she got kilig with her totoy for a date asking her to prom and all the boys that lined up to ask her for dance. But what's important now is that she's really happy. I am more than glad to be part of her experience.

I went straight home and saw what was left of the day's girlie bonding time:


I got stressed. But it's ok. :) Some things are worth a dirty vanity table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment